- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups peeled and diced tart apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the pecan filling, mix together the pecans, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the cake batter, whisk together the flours, sugars, salt, baking soda and spices in large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Fold in the diced apples.
- Grease the Bundt pan, spoon half the batter into the bottom of the pan, sprinkle evenly with the pecan filling and top with the remaining batter. Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. Check for doneness and continue baking if needed. Let the cake cool in the pan before turning it out.
Perfect for a casual gathering, this cake is extra-special when glazed. Just mix together 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon each of maple syrup and apple juice (or milk) and drizzle it over the cooled cake. Top with chopped pecans if desired.
Posted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop.