Kids Brunch: Animal French Toast & Berry Smoothies
Learn how to make fancy Animal French Toast and Mixed Berry Smoothies focused on cooking with kids! Join Co-op staff member, Mackensie Archibald and her daughter Athena as they teach you how to make delicious brunch recipes. Kids will have the chance to decorate and transform their French toast into cats, birds, fish, or bears!
Animal French Toast
- Make your french toast mix first by getting a small bowl and combining the sugar and cinnamon together with a whisk. Whisk thoroughly.
- Next in a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, & cinnamon sugar mix.
- Heat up your pan on medium to medium high heat and add your butter . You may need to adjust this heat depending on your stove. You want enough butter to cover the bottom of your pan.
- Dip one of your slices of bread in the large bowl containing french toast batter. Cover both sides of the bread thoroughly.
- Once your butter is heating up and slightly sizzling, add a slice or two of french toast, depending on the size of your pan. Don’t crowd your toast, just so that it is easier to get a good flip on it.
- Check your toast about every 3-4 minutes with a good flip. If your toast seems to be sticking do not be afraid to add a bit more butter.
- Set aside and let cool when finished on a plate for toppings.
- Wash your blueberries and strawberries.
- Peel & cut up your banana into about ¼ inch slices
- Cut up your strawberries first by cutting the tops off. Next slice 2 of them up into ¼ inch slices for the fish, wings of the owl, & cat ears.
- Cut 2-3 slices of your already cut-up banana into thin slices for the whiskers of the cat.
- Use the recipes for inspiration.
Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Add your frozen fruit to your food processor or blender. Add both containers of yogurt and the designated amount of orange juice.
- Blend until smooth. If your smoothie is a little chunky, try adding more orange juice a little at a time.
- Preheat your oven to 450.
- Line your baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Open your package of bacon.
- Line bacon up on your baking sheet with relatively even spacing
- Once your oven is preheated, put the baking sheet in your oven for 10 - 20 minutes. Set a timer for 10 minutes, to make sure you keep an eye on it.