Try these decadent latkes for Chanukah this year! Made with local PrairiErth Farm potatoes, yellow onion, local eggs, a little matzo meal, and some scallions, these latkes are perfect when topped with sour cream and applesauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 329
- Wash and scrub potatoes but don't peel. Grate potatoes and onion, then place them into a sieve with a large bowl underneath to collect any starchy liquid that releases. Let potatoes and onion sit in the sieve for 5 minutes then squeeze out any excess liquid with your hands. Discard liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together with green onions, salt, pepper, butter, and matzo meal. Add grated potatoes and onions. Mix well.
- Heat up a cast iron pan or thick rimmed pan with canola oil. Heat oil on high and test the heat of the oil by adding a small piece of latke batter. You know it's hot enough when it sizzles right away.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter and form into a patty. Carefully place the patty in the pan and fry on each side for 4-7 minutes or until the latkes are dark golden brown.
- Once the latkes are flipped and browned on both sides, place them on a brown paper bag or paper towels to drain and absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and apple sauce. Sprinkle green onions as a garnish and enjoy!