Garden Vegetable Bake
Fresh local produce and the super grain, quinoa, star in this hearty dish. Accompany this rich, full-flavored dish with a light green salad tossed with vinaigrette and a slice of focaccia, and end with fresh fruit sorbet for dessert.
Recipe from National Cooperative of Grocers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Calories per serving: 431
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, bell peppers, summer squash, peas, and spices until the squash is soft. Add the tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, parsley, and 1 cup of shredded provolone.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, sauteed vegetables, and cheese mixture, and press into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining shredded provolone.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes before slicing into squares.