Mustard and Fried Tempeh Wrap
If you've never tried tempeh before, this dish will show you what you've been missing. Creole flavors, spicy mustard, and the earthy, satisfying flavor of tempeh, all wrapped into a warm tortilla, makes for a perfect wrap for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.
Recipe from National Cooperative of Grocers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Calories per serving: 687
- Combine all the Creole Mustard sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a wide-bottom bowl, combine the flour, oregano, basil, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the beaten egg and yellow mustard.
- Slice the tempeh patty once across depth, then again horizontally, to make 4 thin patties. Cut again cross-wise into 1-inch wide pieces.
- Heat the oil to a large skillet over medium flame.
- Dredge all the patties in the flour mix, coat them with the mustard mix, and dredge in flour once more.
- Add coated tempeh pieces to the frying pan. Cook in heated oil over medium for 2 minutes on each side (or until golden), then flip. Cool on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Layer each tortilla with lettuce, tomato, tempeh, and Creole Mustard Sauce, and wrap.