Greek Dishes with Katie Chamberlain & George Kritikos
Learn how to make traditional Greek dishes with Co-op owners! Join George Kritikos and Katie Chamberlain as they share their tips on making family recipes including chicken (or tofu) souvlaki, tzatziki (yogurt cucumber dill sauce), fassolia (Greek stewed green beans and potatoes), and horiatiki (Greek village salad with cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions).
George is the director of analytics for the J.M. Smucker Company and grew up in the Chicago suburbs cooking with his Greek grandmother and running around the kitchen of his family’s restaurant. A transplant from Alabama with C-U roots, Katie is an information science professor at the University of Illinois who loves baking and just married George for the food. They are expecting their first baby in June.
Chicken Souvlakia with Pita
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to a bowl and stir to combine. Marinate 30 minutes to 2 hours (or longer!).
- On the stove, heat a cast iron or grill pan to medium.
- Warm pita bread before adding any oil to the pan, 1-2 minutes per side. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add chicken cubes and cook, turning occasionally, until interior temperature reaches at least 165 degrees (around 8 to 10 minutes).
- Serve the cooked chicken with warm pitas and tzatziki dip.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put olive oil in an oven-safe pot, such as a cast-iron Dutch oven. Add oregano and cumin. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, lemon zest, stock, bay leaves, salt, pepper, beans, and potatoes to the pot. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Lay fresh herb bundle on top. Cover and transfer the pot to preheated oven.
- Cook 35-45 minutes (up to 1 hour) or until beans and potatoes are fork tender. Remove pot from oven and remove and discard bay leaves and fresh herbs. Add lemon juice and a splash of olive oil.
- Prep vegetables and place all in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add olive oil and vinegar. Gently stir and place covered in fridge so flavors can be held.
- Before serving, drizzle salad with one tablespoon of reserved olive oil and sprinkle with feta and oregano.
- Peel the cucumber and grate onto a clean towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Add cucumber, garlic, olive oil, dill, yogurt, and red wine vinegar to a bowl. Stir to combine. Cover and store in the fridge for up to four days. Serve cold.