Co-op Basics: Brown Rice Risotto with Green Peas & Cheddar
This recipe takes all the work out of classic risotto, but doesn't skimp on flavor and creaminess. Starring short grain brown rice and peas, this is a simple and comforting dinner. This recipe features items from our Co-op Basics line and comes in at just $1.86 per serving! The following ingredients are all part of Co-op Basics;
- Field Day extra virgin olive oil
- Bulk short grain brown rice
- Field Day vegetable broth
- Sno-pac frozen peas
- Organic Valley sharp cheddar cheese
Food For All members receive an additional 10% off all of these products, as well as any produce items featured in the recipe!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Calories per serving: 347
Cost per serving: $1.86
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring often until softened and just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring until the rice grains start to get translucent in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in peas, herbs and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Cover and let sit 5 minutes off the heat. Stir a final time and serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4th cup cheese and more black pepper.