Beat & Onion Galette
This savory puff pastry galette makes a fancy appetizer that is perfect for the holidays. This recipe is quick to assemble and uses seasonal and local winter roots!
This decadent recipie can feature any ingredients!
Whatever season you are in, this galette recipe is a perfect recipe to utilize whatever vegetables are in season. Since this is geared for the fall and winter, you could also try this with sweet potatoes, assorted rainbow potatoes, turnips, or mushrooms. In spring, you could make with sauteed spinach, garlic scapes, and feta. In the heat of summer, you could make some with peppers and cherry tomatoes.
If you don't have puff pastry, you can make it with pie dough.
You can easily substitute this puff pastry for pie dough. Try making with our homemade sourcream pie crust.
When in doubt, bake for 5-10 minutes longer.
Sometimes it can be hard to tell when the galette is ready to come of out the oven. If you are using watery ingredients, make sure you bake your galette longer than 40 minutes. Beets, carrots, and onions don't have as much water as other produce, so it seemed to work well with the timing. Every oven is different, so look for this golden crust and you'll be able to smell when it is getting close to being done.
Try the pear proscuitto pecan galette too!
I also made a delicious sweet and savory Local Pear Proscuitto Pecan Galette that you should try out!
- Thaw frozen puff pastry dough overnight in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Thinly slice beets, onion, carrot and grate cheese.
- Unravel puff pastry onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover the middle of the pastry with grated cheese and then decorate the center with layered slices of beets, onion, and carrots. Sprinkle the top with rosemary.
- Fold the edges of the puff pasty to frame the filling and form circular shape. Place puff pastry and parchment paper on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the galette is crispy and golden brown.
- Slice up into thin pieces and serve slightly warm. Galette is also tasty cooled.