Serve this popular eggplant dip with pita bread, olives and veggies or alongside dishes like tabouli, fattoush and falafel.
Recipe from National Cooperative of Grocers
Garlic, peeled & minced
Fresh parsley, minced
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Calories per serving: 144
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prick the eggplant in several places with a knife or fork. Place on a baking sheet and roast the eggplant in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, turning it occasionally. Remove from oven when the eggplant is soft and collapsing and the outside is blackened. Place the eggplant in a bowl and set aside until it is cool enough to handle.
- While the eggplant is cooling, mix all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- When eggplant is cool, remove and discard the blackened skin and any excess liquid that has accumulated in the bowl. Mash the flesh with a fork (or finely dice with a knife) and add to the remaining ingredients to blend well.
- Serve with warm pita bread.