Co-op Basics: Tofu Fried Rice
You don't have to get take-out to eat fried rice! Fried rice is once of the most comforting, delicious, and easiest dishes to make at home. The trick to making restaurant quality fried rice is to make sure the rice is fully cooled, and to fry everything in butter rather than oil. Those simple steps are a real game changer! This rice is also super affordable at only $2.02 per serving, and features products from our Co+op Basics line! The following products are all Co+op Basics:
- Sno-pac frozen corn
- Sno-pac frozen carrots
- Sno-pac frozen green peas
- Field Day Thai Jasmine rice
- Soy Buy extra firm tofu
- Feather Lane eggs
Field Day Thai Jasmine rice
Soy Boy tofu
Feather Lane eggs
Sno-pac sweet corn
Sno-pac sliced carrots
Sno-pac green peas
Non-stick cooking spray
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Calories per serving: 392
Cost per serving: $2.02
- Cook rice according to preferred method. Place in fridge overnight or chill in freezer until it is completely cooled.
- Press the tofu by placing it in a towel and setting something heavy on top. Allow to press for at least 20 minutes. This step is very important to getting crispy tofu. Cut the tofu into cubes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Spray completely with non-stick cooking spray. Place the tofu cubes in a single layer in the pan. Fry for 5-7 minutes on each side until crispy. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, crack 4 eggs into the pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then begin stirring and breaking up the eggs until they become a scramble. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the corn, carrots and peas and cook until they are cooked and heated.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan, and add the last tablespoon of butter. Add your cooked and chilled rice. Cook in place for 2-3 minutes, then stir everything together. Fry the rice and veggies for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add your tofu and scrambled eggs back into the pan. Add soy sauce, mix together, and cook for another minute or two until everything is heated.
- Add additional soy sauce if desired. Serve & enjoy!