Co-op Basics: Tofu Fried Rice
You don't have to get take-out to eat fried rice! Fried rice is one of the most comforting, delicious, and easiest dishes to make at home. The trick to making restaurant-quality fried rice is to make sure the rice is fully cooled, and to fry everything in butter rather than oil. Those simple steps are a real game changer! This rice is also super affordable at only $2.02 per serving, and features products from our Co+op Basics line! The following products are all Co+op Basics:
- Sno-pac frozen corn
- Sno-pac frozen carrots
- Sno-pac frozen green peas
- Field Day Thai Jasmine rice
- Soy Buy extra firm tofu
- Feather Lane eggs
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Calories per serving: 392
Cost per serving: $2.02
- Cook rice according to your preferred method. Place in fridge overnight or chill in freezer until it is completely cooled.
- Press the tofu by placing it in a towel and setting something heavy on top. Allow to press for at least 20 minutes. This step is very important to getting crispy tofu. Cut the tofu into cubes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Spray completely with non-stick cooking spray. Place the tofu cubes in a single layer in the pan. Fry for 5-7 minutes on each side until crispy. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, crack 4 eggs into the pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then begin stirring and breaking up the eggs until they become a scramble. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the corn, carrots, and peas and cook until they are cooked and heated.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan, and add the last tablespoon of butter. Add your cooked and chilled rice. Cook in place for 2-3 minutes, then stir everything together. Fry the rice and veggies for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add your tofu and scrambled eggs back into the pan. Add soy sauce, mix together, and cook for another minute or two until everything is heated.
- Add additional soy sauce if desired. Serve & enjoy!