Mixed Mushroom Hand Pies
In honor of the return of bulk mushrooms to our produce cooler, we whipped up some savory mushroom hand pies! You can use any type of mushroom here, but we used portobello and shiitake. The leeks and garlic give the pies a little heat, and the swiss cheese adds a gooey, melty element. Gruyere would be a great substitute for the Swiss. These pies are delicious and serve as a wonderful snack or appetizer.
Portobello mushrooms, diced
Shiitake mushrooms, diced
Fresh garlic, minced
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 115
- Allow puff pastry to thaw completely, then slice into 8 even pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, leeks and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add salt, thyme and coriander and saute an additional minute or two.
- Lay out 4 squares of puff pastry. Divide the mushroom filling evenly among the 4 sheets. Cut each slice of Swiss cheese in half, and place on top of the mushroom mixture.
- Top each pie with another sheet of pastry. Use a fork to close the puff pastry by clamping the sheets together. They should hold just fine, but you can use an egg wash if you desire.
- Bake the hand pies for 30-35 minutes until they are golden brown and crisp. Serve & enjoy!