Vegan Lentil Mushroom Meatballs
These are the best vegan meatballs I've ever tasted - made from green lentils, sautéed mushrooms, and breadcrumbs! This recipe is great if you have leftover green lentils and want to throw together a delicious and hearty vegan meal on a budget.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 3 meatballs
Calories per serving: 324
Cooking Green Lentils from Scratch
- Rinse 1/2 cup dried green lentils in a large sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Cook on low with a lid and stir occasionally until the lentils are tender, approximately 30-40 minutes. This will make more than you will need for this recipe.
Prepping Vegan Meatballs
- Mince garlic, dice onion, and chop mushrooms. Heat up a skillet with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and saute onions, garlic, mushrooms and a pinch of salt until fully cooked. Add fresh thyme to cooked mushroom mixture and stir to incorporate and activate the oils of fresh herbs.
- Make a flax egg by combining ground flax seed and water (or the broth from the lentils) and whisk until it forms an eggy gelatinous texture.
- In a food processor, add 1 cup strained green lentils, breadcrumbs, mushroom mixture, flax egg, oregano, and parsley and blend well. Taste and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll into 1.5'' balls and heat large skillet with 3 tablespoons olive oil on high heat. Pan fry lentil meatballs rotating sides until outside is browned and crispy or place on a baking sheet and cook at 400 for 15-20 minutes. TIP: If you don't have a food processor, stir thoroughly to combine and bake meatballs instead of pan frying so they don't crumble apart.
- Serve with cooked pasta and Homemade Carrot Tomato Sauce.