Local Western Bacon Sliders with Fried Cheese Curds
These are not healthy, but boy, are they a tasty time! Join me in my self-indulgent journey with these Local Western Bacon Sliders with fried cheese curds.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Calories per serving: 912
For the Sliders:
- For the sliders, preheat your oven to 350. You can simultaneously cook the bacon as well. Cook the sliders for around 7 minutes, flip, cook for another 5, add cheese slices, or grate cheese on top. Cook until the cheese has melted (around 3-4 more minutes).
- Cook the bacon for 10 minutes, flip and cook for another 5.
For the Cheese Curds:
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, pour oil (vegetable, canola, or peanut oil work great) so that it is 2 inches deep. Turn the heat onto medium-high, but do not go far; the oil will boil quickly, and we do not want that.
- Make your batter for frying. In a medium bowl add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. In another small bowl, whisk water and egg. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Test if your oil is ready by dropping a bit of batter into the pot. If it immediately starts to bubble and fry, you're good to go. If you have a cooking thermometer, the oil should be about 350 degrees.
- Dip your cheese curds into the batter and then carefully drop them into the hot oil. I'd recommend cooking around 6 at a time so they don't stick together. Stir them around a bit, and when they have just turned golden brown, remove them from the oil with a metal slotted spoon and drain them on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining cheese curds.
- Some of your cheese curds may ooze out a little bit. Do not worry, they are still very tasty.
- Assemble burgers with BBQ sauce, bacon, and fried cheese curds.