Zucchini & Mushroom Stromboli featuring Janie's Mill Flour
Homemade Stromboli is an easy and fun alternative to pizza! We used local Janie's Mill Italian Pizza Blend flour for this recipe, but if you don't have any then all-purpose flour works well too. This Stromboli is tasty and kid friendly and can be adjusted to suit your favorite veggies, meats and cheeses.
- Whisk warm water, yeast and sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil, salt and flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough starts to come together. It may still be a bit shaggy. If dough is too dry, add water 1 teaspoon at a time. If it is too dry, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes. The dough should still feel a little soft.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature until it doubles in size, 60-90 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, zucchini, onion, salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Allow to cool completely.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll dough into a large rectangle. Spoon the pizza sauce lengthwise down the middle. Add vegetable mixture and shredded mozzarella cheese. Brush edges with egg and roll away from you into a log, pinching edges to seal.
- Place seam side down and transfer to a baking sheet. Cut slits along the top of the dough, and brush the top with the egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Allow Stromboli to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve with warmed pizza sauce or your favorite dip.