Spicy Pork Ramen
This spicy ramen is perfect to make on a cold weekend. This recipe walks you through how to slow cook local pork shoulder, how to prepare tasty ramen broth, and what local winter vegetables go great with black forbidden rice ramen noodles.
Central Lean pork shoulder roast
Field Day vegetable broth
Fresh ginger, thickly sliced
1 inch piece
Garlic, peeled and left whole
Small carrots, two left whole for broth, other two sliced julienne for garnish
Green onions, green tops sliced thinly for garnish, white bottoms sliced in half for broth
Mirin (or other rice vinegar)
Jalapeno, half left for brother, other half thinly sliced for garnish
Green kale, thinly sliced
Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice Ramen noodles
Eggs, soft boiled
Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Using a dutch oven or a metal stock pot with a metal lid, heat pan until very hot.
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Add canola oil to hot pan and sear pork shoulder on all sides until meat starts to brown.
- Pour two containers veggie broth, water, ginger chunks, whole garlic cloves, two whole carrots, half jalapeño, mirin, soy sauce, Gochujang paste, and the white bottoms of green onions.
- Bring pot to a boil and then place a lid on the pot and bake in oven for 1.5-2 hours and pork reaches an internal tempertature of 145F.
- In a separate sauce pan, cover raw eggs with water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove eggs and place into ice water.
- After two hours, carefully remove the pot with pork from oven. Using tongs, place the pork shoulder on a cutting board and shred the pork with two forks. Remove an excess fat as you see fit.
- Using a sieve, strain broth. Pour broth back into pot and keep on low heat. Add shredded pork and sliced kale to hot broth and stir until kale turns bright green.
- Boil ramen in separate sauce pan. Once noodles are tender, strain and rinse them with cold water to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Slice carrots, radish, cilantro, green onions, and the rest of the jalapeño.
- When you're ready to eat, add noodles, broth, kale, shredded pork, and top with sliced jalapeño, carrot, radish, and green onions. Serve!