- 1 16-ounce package frozen hash browns, slightly thawed
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 ounces vegetarian sausage, crumbled
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the hash browns, kale, onion, garlic, veggie sausage crumbles and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil or butter over medium-high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add the hash brown mixture and press firmly into the pan. Cook for a few minutes until browned on the bottom, stir, press down again and cook another few minutes until browned on the bottom. Continue to cook and brown the hash browns until desired doneness. Serve warm.
This simple, filling one-skillet dish is as great a choice for winter weekend breakfasts as it is for quick weeknight suppers. Use pork or chicken sausage crumbles, chopped bacon or leftover pulled chicken or pork instead of vegetarian sausage if you prefer, and top with a fried egg for a super-hearty dish.
Posted with permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at Stronger Together.Coop.