WHAT YOU NEED FOR LOCAL KIELBASA CARROT CELERY WHEATBERRY GRAIN BOWL:
Triple S Farms Kielbasa Sausage
local wheatberries from Hazzard Free Farm
local and organic celery from PrairiErth Farm
local and organic carrot from PrairiErth Farm
local and organic bell pepper from PrairiErth Farm
local and organic garlic from Blue Moon Farm
local and organic yellow onion from Blue Moon Farm
local and organic boiled red beets from Blue Moon Farm
1 T. salted butter
local rosemary from Green Pantry Nursery
salt and pepper to taste
veggie stock or water
1) Rinse wheatberries in a sieve with cold water.
2) Chop up some celery leaves from the celery stalk and add them to a medium sauce pan with 1 cup of wheatberries, 1/2 tsp salt, a sprig of rosemary, and fill the pan with veggie stock or water until the liquid covers about 2 inches over the wheatberries. Cook on high heat until it comes out a boil then add a lid and simmer for about 40-50 minutes or until wheatberries are tender.
3) While wheatberries are cooking, it's time to slice up the carrots, dice the celery, onion, bell pepper, and mince the garlic. Slice the kielbasa in 1/4 inch slices on a slight angle. TIP: If you are vegetarian, you can slice up your favorite seitan sausage.
4) Heat up a skillet with a tablespoon of butter on high heat and start to sautée the garlic and onion. Follow up with the denser vegetables like the carrot and then add the bell pepper and celery until everything is softened. Should take about 10-15 minutes. You can add a pinch salt to draw out liquid from the vegetables or you can hold off and just use the kielbasa as the salty component. Add the kielbasa and make sure to cook on high heat so you can slightly brown the sides of the sausage.
5) Once everything is ready, build your grain bowl by adding the local mixed salad greens, wheatberries, veggies and kielbasa, sliced boiled beets, and eat as is or add a touch of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Enjoy!