- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 cups tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
In a large pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté 3 minutes, then add the ginger and jalapeños and cook for 2 more minutes. Next, add the garlic, spices, tempeh and sweet potatoes and sauté 2 minutes. Pour in the water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sriracha sauce and sugar and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Serve this stew with something tart to complement the rich flavor. Try grilled pineapple, rice seasoned with cilantro and lime or a tangy citrus slaw with fennel or jicama. Like it spicy? Double up on the sriracha sauce!
Posted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop.