- 1⁄3 pound ground breakfast sausage
- I tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 large eggs
- Black pepper
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small skillet, cook the sausage and set aside to drain on paper towels. Liberally butter 4 cups of a standard muffin pan.
- Cut each slice of bread into a 4-inch square, removing the crust. Gently press one slice into each of the 4 buttered cups in the pan to make a bowl shape. Add one teaspoon of cooked sausage to each bread bowl. Crack an egg into each, and sprinkle lightly with pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the whites are no longer translucent and the eggs are becoming firm. Top each egg with remaining cooked sausage and the cheddar cheese and bake another 2 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool a few minutes and lift out gently using a fork. Garnish with minced chives and serve.
Posted with permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at Stronger Together.Coop.