- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro or chives all work well)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking the corn cakes
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced or diced
- Thaw or drain corn kernels. In a large mixing bowl, blend together all of the ingredients except the vegetable oil and avocado.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter into the hot skillet for each corn cake. Cook 3 or 4 cakes at a time, so as not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook the corn cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, flipping when the edges become firm. Keep cooked corn cakes in an ovenproof dish in a warm oven until all the cakes have been made. Serve warm with avocado and your favorite prepared salsa.
A tray of warm corn cakes served with bowls of chopped avocado, lime wedges, sour cream and salsa makes a great Game Day snack. These are also a delicious side with pulled barbecued chicken or pork, or baked tofu with Southwestern spices.
Posted with permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at Stronger Together.Coop.